Saturday, March 11, 2006

Apple's Aperture and Photos of Ireland


I've been playing around with Apple's new photo workflow program called Aperture, and I am totally smitten!

The bad news is that it doesn't support the raw format of my camera (Pentax *ist DS). The good news is that this means I get to import scanned TIFFs of a couple trips to Ireland I've taken over the past few years.

I think I've finally figured out how to use the Nikon Coolscan IV ED negative/slide scanner. I've got my full color workflow set up, so I use Adobe RGB color space for scanning and the images are coming out quite nice.

Then throw in some full-image tweaking and cropping with Aperture (all are non-destructive edits), and you get some fairly nice images, like this one of Pol na Brón ("Poulnabrone").

No comments: